RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) — Republican Paul Newby’s narrow lead over Democratic incumbent Cheri Beasley changed little overall as a statewide machine recount of North Carolina’s very close race for Supreme Court chief justice was finally completed.
The machine recount that finished Wednesday night left Newby with a 401-vote lead over Beasley with nearly 5.4 million votes cast in the race.
Beasley’s campaign says it immediately asked the State Board of Elections for a hand recount of a small portion of ballots statewide.
Newby led by 406 votes before the machine recount.
Beasley is the first Black female chief justice in the state. Newby is senior associate justice.
Latest headlines from FOX8
- President Trump’s final hours in office expected to be non-traditional
- Gray’s 17 points lead Florida State past Louisville 78-65
- Mayor of Pocono Borough confirms shots fired, 4 victims at multiple scenes
- Project 2021, part 2: Forsyth County couple counting their blessings after all the hardships 2020 brought
- In open letter to Dr. King, Stevie Wonder calls for equality