CHAPEL HILL, N.C. (AP) – Javonte Williams ran for three fourth-quarter touchdowns and No. 18 North Carolina overcame a mistake-filled performance to beat Syracuse 31-6 on Saturday in the season opener for both teams.
Michael Carter added 138 yards of total offense for the Tar Heels, who won in an empty home stadium after the school opted to open with no fans in attendance due to the coronavirus pandemic.
Williams’ three touchdown runs in the fourth quarter helped UNC blow the game open after leading just 10-6 entering the fourth.
Tommy DeVito threw for 112 yards but took seven sacks for the Orange, who had 202 total yards.
- Protesters leave casket full of dirt, cow manure at North Carolina police station
- 1 person injured in shooting on Maywood Street in Greensboro
- FOX8 Highlighting Heroes: Brittany Barrett, LPN
- FOX8 Highlighting Heroes: Felicia Wilfong, IV nurse
- 1 person arrested during protest in Graham after Breonna Taylor case announcement