Kyle Larson is heading to Hendrick Motorsports.
Hendrick Motorsports announced Wednesday that it has signed Kyle Larson to drive for the team in 2021.
Larson will drive the number 5 car, a number historically used by Hendrick in past years, including the team’s first win in 1984.
Larson was Hendrick’s top candidate to fill the void left when Jimmie Johnson announced that 2020 would be his final full-time season in the sport.
But Larson was suspended from the sport and lost his ride in the Chip Ganassi Racing 42 car in April for using a racial slur during an online event it was uncertain whether sponsors and manufacturer support would welcome him back.
Larson has since completed NASCAR’s requirements for reinstatement to the sport and will continue to do volunteer work on behalf of the sport as part of the terms for his reinstatement.
During his time away from NASCAR has raced in dirt Sprint Car racing winning 40 out of 80 races he’s competed in during the 2020 season.
Latest headlines from FOX8
- Kernersville police searching for suspect after armed robbery of sweepstakes
- 3 hospitalized after Jeep runs stop sign, crashes into truck near Asheboro, troopers say
- Charlotte Hornets, Bank of America provide 3,000 care kits for US troops
- Mega Millions could bring you multi-millions as jackpot climbs well over $400M
- Coca-Cola to discontinue one of its beverages in North America