HIGH POINT, N.C. — A condo fire that started off Morris Farm Drive in High Point early Wednesday morning has left many people counting their blessings.
Neighbors said the fire started in the top left unit, which is now destroyed. Thick black smoke quickly filled all 12 units as firefighters rushed to drench the flames.
Dorothy Benson came back in the light of day to see the damage. She explained her struggle to escape and save her husband, who is handicapped.
“My husband was asleep, and I had a time awakening him, so I was really afraid that I could not get him out,” Benson said. “There was lots of gray smoke, and I was so afraid that I could not maneuver my husband and get him out in time. So I hurried down the hall, and when we got outside the gray smoke just poofed out the door.”
Another neighbor only had time to throw on a jacket and pants.
“I ran out tried to find my cell phone, but the smoke was coming in so fast, I ran,” the neighbor said. “I said, ‘Forget the phone.’ I ran out with just what I have.”
Everyone made it out of the burning building safely, but it’s a kind of shock that still lingers. Benson said living through the fire makes her realize how fortunate they are.
“I am so thankful. I just said a prayer on the way over here. God is so good to us. The water that the fire department used put out the fire that was above the condo, but the fire for the good Lord that’s in your heart, that stays there. That’s what carries you through,” Benson said.
Benson and many of her neighbors are now staying with family and friends.
Disaster One crews said it will take at least three months to rebuild and repair what the fire destroyed.