WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. — The Winston-Salem Police Department, along with help from the Triad Municipal A.B.C Law Enforcement, Forsyth County Sheriff’s Office and Kernersville Police Department, made an arrest Wednesday night in connection with a series of armed robberies at liquor stores in Winston-Salem, Kernersville and Clemmons.
“Armed robberies are very dangerous, they’re inherently dangerous, they’re very unstable and unpredictable,” said Capt. Jay Edwards, of the Winston-Salem Police Department.
At about 8 p.m., authorities conducted surveillance at an ABC Store in Winston-Salem. During the process, they observed 41-year-old Monte Javon Summer preparing to enter the business and upon suspicion, officials approached him.
“His actions as he was preparing to enter the business gave indication to the officers on the scene that he was preparing to rob the business,” Edwards said, adding that “when you challenge someone that has a weapon they really ultimately have two choices; they can comply with your commands or not comply.”
He was then able to flee the scene before leading authorities on a high-speed chase, eventually driving his vehicle into another at the intersection of Country Club Road and Peacehaven Road. The chase lasted for about 2.4 miles.
“The likelihood for some other innocent person to become involved greatly increased,” Edwards said.
Police then apprehended Summers.
“At the end of the day, nobody’s hurt, we arrested the guy band charged him with several armed robberies that, you know, hopefully he won’t be able to commit any more of these for a long time,” Edwards said.
Here is a list of 41-year-old Monte Javon Summers’ charges:
- Robbery with a dangerous weapon and kidnapping in connection with the Sept. 17, 2015, robbery of the ABC Store located at 3188 Peters Creek Parkway in Winston-Salem.
- Robbery with a dangerous weapon and kidnapping in connection with the Oct. 26, 2015, robbery of the ABC Store located at 4017 Country Club Road in Winston-Salem.
- Robbery with a dangerous weapon and kidnapping in connection with the Dec. 28, 2015, robbery of the ABC Store located at 541 W. Northwest Blvd. in Winston-Salem.
- Robbery with a dangerous weapon and kidnapping in connection with the May 26, 2016, robbery of the ABC Store located at 2450 Market Center Drive in Clemmons.
- Attempted robbery with a dangerous weapon, felony fleeing to elude arrest, possession of a firearm by a convicted felon and misdemeanor failure to stop property damage in connection to the events of this evening.
Summers is being held at the Forsyth County Detention Center and is under a $1,500,000 secured bond.
“A small percentage of the population commit the vast majority of the crimes and if we can focus on that small percentage then we can have a big impact on the crime rates,” Edwards said.
The Winston-Salem Police Department asks that anyone with information regarding the investigation contact them at (336) 773-7700.