Winston-Salem home catches fire after family sets off New Year’s Eve fireworks in trash can

News
This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. — A family’s fireworks celebration ended with their home on fire, according to the Winston-Salem Fire Department. At about 1:13 a.m. Wednesday morning, firefighters responded to 1805 Center Street. Fire officials say a family set off legal fireworks in a trashcan but did not properly dispose of them after. The fireworks ignited the trash can and lit the house on fire. The home did not have smoke alarms but a police officer from the North Carolina School of the Arts saw the fire and helped get word to the family. The fire was reportedly under control by 2:02 a.m. No one was injured, but six people have been displaced. It is unclear whether or not the home is a total loss.

Must-See Stories

More Must-See Stories

MOST POPULAR

Follow FOX8 on Twitter