Wake Forest increases security after rash of crimes

News
This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. — Wake Forest University has increased security after a series of mostly off-campus incidents, including automobile break-ins and home invasions, according to an email Ken Zick, vice president of student affairs, sent to the students, faculty and staff last week.

“In recent weeks, we have heard concern from members of the University community about campus safety and security,” Zick said in the email. “Incidents on and off campus this academic year have prompted discussion at the highest levels of the University.”

Most of the incidents have happened off campus and have included automobile break-ins, home invasions, property thefts and unauthorized access to campus. Some perpetrators near campus have carried weapons, Zick said in the email.

That has led to the university adding security to patrol certain parking lots and dorms on the north side of campus near Polo Road.

Winston-Salem police have increased patrols in nearby off-campus areas, and university security officers have been made available to escort resident advisers in the north part of campus while making evening rounds, Zick said in the email.

The extra security led, Zick said, to a university security officer arriving within seconds of an attempted break-in at Martin Residence Hall.

The officer saw two men running away from the scene and by Sunday night, a Wake Forest student and a visitor from another university had been charged with attempted breaking and entering.

Read full story: The Winston-Salem Journal.

Must-See Stories

More Must-See Stories

MOST POPULAR

Follow FOX8 on Twitter