Victim identified after Kernersville man turned himself in for murder

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

FORSYTH COUNTY, N.C. — The Forsyth County District Attorney’s Office confirmed the identity of the victim after a Kernersville man told officers in Washington, D.C., that he killed a woman in North Carolina.

Kayla Melissa Dubuque’s obitutary says that she was 25 and lived in North Wilkesboro.

Dubuque was survived by her mother, father, step-mother and multiple siblings.

The Metropolitan Police Department reports Jaron Alan Kubler, 29, of Kernersville approached officers on Jan. 6 at the intersection of 7th Street and G Street and “stated that he had committed a murder in North Carolina.”

Kubler told police he had killed a woman in the bathroom of his apartment using a knife.

Metropolitan police arrested Kubler after the admission for being fugitive from justice pending a warrant from the Forsyth County Sheriff’s Office.

Forsyth County Sheriff’s deputies were dispatched to check Kubler’s residence at 5823 Loradale Drive, unit 3, at about 1:48 a.m. Jan. 7.

There they found a Dubuque’s body in the bathroom.

He was booked in Forsyth County jail at about 7:30 p.m. Wednesday night

According to the Forsyth County jail, Kubler is charged with first degree murder, solicitation of a prostitute and kidnapping.

An autopsy is pending.

“I can’t explain what it was like. I couldn’t comprehend it. Like no way,” Tyler Hill said.

When Forsyth County deputies told Hill that someone next door was dead, he flashed back to what happened Friday night. That was the last time he saw the man now accused of murder.

“[My wife said] he was beating on the door, angrily,” Hill said. “So I went straight home and went and knocked on his door.”

That panicked phone call from Hill’s wife prompted him to rush back to his apartment.

“When I knocked on the door, I heard it. It was almost like a scream. I heard a few thuds,” Hill said. “He came out maybe 20 minutes later and got into his car and left.”

Must-See Stories

More Must-See Stories


Follow FOX8 on Twitter