This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

CHAPEL HILL, N.C. — Seven people were arrested amid protests at the campus of University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill on Saturday over the Silent Sam statue that was torn down earlier this week.

Three arrests were for assault, two were for assault, destruction of property and inciting a riot, one was for destruction of property and another for resisting an officer.

FOX8 cameras caught footage of some of the arrests, including one person stomping on a Confederate flag and then being led out by police.

Protesters gathered at McCorkle Place, the spot of where the statue was torn down, and held signs and chanted phrases such as “racists go home.” Several other people in support of the statue held Confederate flags.

Police officers were in the area where Silent Sam was torn down amid the protesters throughout the day. The protests eventually spilled into the roadway.

Chancellor Carol Folt said more than 100 people took part in the events, which became highly charged at time. She said the confederate monument is a flash point on campus and will continue to be a lightning rod.

Folt says they will not rush to make a decision on the future of Silent Sam on campus and she would like to see it in a better, more secured place. She said safety is a top priority.

Cameron Avenue between Raleigh and Columbia streets, which goes through campus, had been closed to traffic.

Numerous North Carolina Highway Patrol cars could be seen parked on Franklin Street near the school. There were also several law enforcement vehicles in the parking deck.

The scene started to calm down at about 3 p.m. with less than a dozen people in the area.

The Silent Sam Confederate statue was pulled down Monday night by protesters. Campus police filed warrants for three people Thursday night.

State law requires the statue to be restored within 90 days.