Suspect facing murder charge after High Point chase leaves 1 dead, 1 in critical condition

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

HIGH POINT, N.C. — A police chase through High Point ended with a woman dead, another woman in critical condition and the suspect facing a murder charge, according to police.

Thursday night, an officer was patrolling through the 100 block of Gordon Street when he saw a white Chevrolet Impala with a 30-day temporary registration plate cross the yellow line on the road and nearly hit an oncoming car.

The officer followed the car and saw the driver cross the white fog line on the right side of the road.

Believing the driver was impaired, the officer turned on his blue lights at about 9:39 p.m.

The Impala then sped up and ran a red light at the intersection of University Parkway and Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard, prompting the officer to give chase.

A second officer joined the pursuit as police followed the Impala for another half block. Police say they were stopping for red lights and checking for oncoming traffic at intersections.

The Impala hit speeds as high as 90 mph approaching North Centennial Street, police believe.

Near North Centennial, the Impala crossed the median and drove west into oncoming traffic on the eastbound lanes on East Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard, cutting between two cars.

The officers pursued in the westbound lanes.

The car then hit a silver sedan head-on at 9:40 p.m. at the intersection of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard and North Hamilton Street, causing significant damage to the front ends of both cars.

Officers tried to help the driver of the sedan, but 43-year-old Karolyn L. Chambers, of High Point, died at the scene.

Responders tried to help the driver of the Impala, but police say he physically resisted.

Anthony D. Tate

Anthony D. Tate, 33, of Greensboro, was taken to the hospital in police custody.

A passenger in the Impala, a 31-year-old woman from High Point, was brought to the hospital in critical condition.

Officers later found out that Tate was not supposed to be on the road. His license was suspended after he was previously caught driving while impaired.

Tate was charged with second degree murder, felony death by motor vehicle, felony serious injury by motor vehicle, driving while license revoked, driving while impaired, careless and reckless driving, aggravated felony speeding to elude arrest and several other traffic violations. He was given a $1 million bond.

The suspect is expected to undergo surgery before release from hospital.

Search warrants allowed police to give Tate a blood test. While officers have not gotten the results of this test, they suspect that Tate was under the influence of alcohol based on observation and smell, as well as marijuana which he had on him when he was arrested.

Must-See Stories

More Must-See Stories


Follow FOX8 on Twitter