Suspect arrested after man shot, killed while trying to break up fight in High Point


Cinciere M. Turner

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

HIGH POINT, N.C. -- A suspect has been arrested after a fatal shooting in High Point, according to a news release from High Point police.

Cinciere M. Turner

Cinciere M. Turner, 19, of High Point, is charged with first-degree murder.

At about 1:30 a.m. Friday, officers responded to a report that someone went down in the road at the intersection of Wesley Drive and E. Green Drive.

Another caller said his brother was shot.

At the scene, officers found 38-year-old Rayshun E. Terry, of Thomasville, in the road. He had a single gunshot wound to the upper chest.

Terry was taken to a hospital where he died of his injuries.

Officers believe Terry was shot while trying to stop a fist fight involving his brother.

“This is the second cousin I’ve lost in three months and probably over the 15th since 2016 and I’m tired,” said Damarius Fuller-Ali, when asked about his cousin’s killing.

Fuller-Ali said this is the third death his family has experience to gun violence since 2019 began. In February his family lost Bradley K. Barnes in a shooting in Thomasville. Then, in March they buried James Murray Jr. after he was hit by gunfire while playing basketball in a park.

“Yet another shooting, yet another shots fired called to the police department, which leave me feeling like ... what are we going to do as the people? I asked a question a lot time ago. You can take the guns off the streets, but what will it do?” Damarius said.

He went on to say that he hopes the community will rise to the challenge and encourage those who are committed these acts of violence to change their ways.

Witnesses told police that at least one person fired multiple shots at the fight in the road.

No one else was reported injured.

Police identified Turner as a suspect and he was taken into custody around 2:30 p.m. Friday.

No bond or court date information has been released.

Must-See Stories

More Must-See Stories