STEUBENVILLE, Ohio — A grand jury investigating the 2012 rape of a 16-year-old girl in Steubenville, Ohio, has indicted the school superintendent and three others in the case, Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine said Monday.
Superintendent Michael McVey was the only one to be charged with felonies: a count of tampering with evidence and two counts of obstructing justice.
He also is charged with two misdemeanors.
The issues investigated by the grand jury there include whether adults like teachers or coaches knew of the rape but failed to report it as required by state law.
A judge convicted two Steubenville High School football players of raping the girl in August 2012.
The grand jury previously charged the Steubenville schools’ information technology director with tampering with evidence, obstructing justice, obstructing official business and perjury.
The panel also indicted that man’s daughter on theft and receiving stolen property charges unrelated to the rape case.
In March, Steubenville High School football players Ma’lik Richmond and Trenton Mays were convicted of the rape, which authorities said took place at a party in August 2012. Photos and videos of the incident made their way onto social media and attracted national attention.
A grand jury then began probing whether others should be charged. In October, it indicted William Rhinaman, 53, the director of technology for Steubenville City Schools, on charges of tampering with evidence, obstruction of justice, obstructing official business and perjury.
Richmond was sentenced to a minimum of one year in a juvenile correctional facility. Mays got two years.
If convicted, Rhinaman could be sentenced to four years in prison, which is longer than the two teens convicted of rape will serve.