Residents return home following apartment fire in Mount Airy

News
This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

MOUNT AIRY, N.C. -- A fire at an apartment complex displaced 18 residents on Sunday night.

Firefighters responded to a call for a fire at Davis Room Apartments, located at 120 W. Pine St., around 9:45 p.m.

Of the 18 residents displaced, 16 were provided shelter by the Red Cross.

Power has been restored to the complex and residents were allowed to move back into their apartments on Monday evening.

Mount Airy Fire Chief Zane Poindexter told the Mount Airy News it was classified as a "room and contents" type of fire with damage to the basement and first floor and smoke damage to upper floors.

The fire started when a couch in the basement caught fire, but officials do not yet know what started the fire.

Poindexter said it took around 30 minutes to bring the fire under control.

There were no injuries reported.

The estimated damage to the building was $15,000 with another $5,000 in damages to contents inside the apartments.

Other resources called for included the Mount Airy Rescue Squad, Surry Emergency Medical Services, Duke Power and the Mount Airy Police Department.

Must-See Stories

More Must-See Stories

MOST POPULAR

Follow FOX8 on Twitter