RICHLAND COUNTY, S.C. -- A South Carolina high school student died after ingesting a large amount of caffeine, the Richland County Coroner told WOLO.
Coroner Gary Watts said 16-year-old Davis Cripe had a Mountain Dew, a latte and an energy drink on April 26 before he collapsed at Spring Hill High School.
Watts said the final cause of death was due to a caffeine-induced cardiac event causing a probable arrhythmia.
At a press conference Monday, Cripe's father said he hopes parents will talk to their kids about consuming energy drinks.
— ABC Columbia (@abc_columbia) May 15, 2017