GREENSBORO, N.C. — Portions of Washington Street and other roads in downtown Greensboro will be closed on Friday, Dec. 6, as the city celebrates the holidays with the “Festival of Lights.”
More than 5,000 people are expected to enjoy the event.
Police will stagger street closures in the festival area.
• Beginning at 12:30 p.m., Davie Street between Friendly Avenue and Bellemeade Street/Summit Avenue will be closed. An exit lane from the Renaissance Building parking deck will allow exiting traffic to go north on Davie St.
• Beginning at 3 p.m, the northern most lane and parking spaces on Friendly Ave between Davie Street and Elm Street (next to Center City Park) will be blocked to traffic.
• Beginning at 3 p.m., McGee Street from Elm Street to Davie Street will be closed.
• At 4:00 pm, Elm Street between Friendly Avenue and Lee Street will be closed to vehicular traffic; Market Street and Washington Street traffic will remain open.
• From 7 .m. until approximately 9:30 p.m., Friendly Avenue will be closed from Church Street to Elm Street for the tree lighting ceremony.
Motorists are encouraged to be extra cautious in these areas.
Motorists and pedestrians are reminded that the police officer’s hand and arm signals take precedence over all other traffic control devices.
Roadways are expected to be open by 11 p.m.