Heated argument in stands leads to cancellation of Reidsville/McMichael game

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

REIDSVILLE, N.C. -- Matthew James was there when things got intense at a basketball game Wednesday night at Reidsville High School.

"It was yelling and screaming and then the crowd just stood up,” James said.

Reidsville was playing against McMichael High School.

Around the third quarter, police say several heated arguments broke out between people in the stands.

"There were some words exchanged between parents from opposing sides," said Lt. Chuck Evitt with the Reidsville Police Department.

Reidsville police were called along with school resource officers.

"The cops started rushing over there and that's when everybody whipped out their phones and started recording everything," James said.

But James says things didn't stop there.

"Police escorted them out then after the police escorted them out, another fight broke out," said.

Police say things never got physical, however the game was canceled and everyone was told to leave.

"It is an unfortunate situation that happened, hopefully it's an isolated incident,” Evitt said.

A spokesperson for Rockingham County Schools sent this statement to FOX 8:

"The incident at the Reidsville High/McMichael High basketball game held on Wednesday, December 14 was an unfortunate event and it is disappointing that the game had to be postponed.  The fans on both teams were involved in a verbal altercation.  School administration and Reidsville Police Department worked diligently to defuse the situation.  The players are to be commended as they were not involved and the students of both high schools were not involved in any of the verbal altercations. We are appreciative to all staff, students, student athletes and parents that handled themselves in an appropriate manner and to the administration and Reidsville Police Department for the way the situation was handled. "

Fans like James were disappointed that the game was called, but he says it was the right decision.

"There were 1,000 people in there and I didn't want it to erupt into something out of control," he said.

Police say no criminal charges will be filed.

Must-See Stories

More Must-See Stories


Follow FOX8 on Twitter