NEW ORLEANS (AP) — A group of 30 endangered, rare sea turtles are being treated for hypothermia and pneumonia in Louisiana after a sudden cold spell nearly froze them in New England waters.
The Audubon Nature Institute announced this week that it took the reptiles in at a New Orleans wildlife facility.
Experts say the Kemp’s ridley sea turtles are among the world’s most endangered sea turtles.
Rescuers say they were swimming off the Massachusetts coast before Thanksgiving when the falling ocean temperatures sickened hundreds of them.
Many have been moved to wildlife centers along the Atlantic and Gulf Coasts for rehabilitation.
Latest headlines from FOX8
- Michigan Mega Millions ticket wins $1 billion jackpot
- ‘Several’ killed in deadly crash in Myrtle Beach; others injured
- Officials asking for public’s help finding missing infant
- Trouble breathing, tooth loss: Some COVID-19 patients face lasting effects
- NC judge orders plan for releasing more red wolves into wild