Lockdown at WFBMC lifted, 3 arrested after shooting at nearby business


John Samuel Williams, 22; Jamon Antwan Horton, 21 and Dewon Lamont Jamison, 24, all of Winston-Salem. (Winston-Salem PD)

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. — Three armed suspects were arrested after two of the suspects ran inside Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center following a robbery at a nearby business, prompting the hospital to go on lockdown for a second time on Tuesday.

Police Chief Scott A. Cunningham said John Samuel Williams, 22; Jamon Antwan Horton, 21 and Dewon Lamont Jamison, 24, all of Winston-Salem, were armed with long guns and shotguns robbed the Gold Express at 1412 S. Hawthorne Road around 10 a.m.

Police said the suspects entered the business, a weapon discharged and struck a store employee.

The employee sustained non-life threatening injuries and is listed in stable condition at WFBMC, according to police.

The three suspects fled in a vehicle, according to Capt. Mitch Masencup.

In an attempt to elude police, the suspects pulled into a parking deck at WFBMC, Capt. Masencup said. One of the suspects was quickly apprehended, but two suspects ran into the hospital in an attempt to hide from police.

Capt. Masencup said one of the suspects was arrested inside the hospital and the third suspect was arrested on Lockland Avenue.

“We obviously take incidents like this seriously,” Masencup said.

“Our goal was to protect the folks at the hospital and in the hospital.”

When all three suspects were in custody, the lockdown that had been in place at WFBMC was lifted.

A WFBMC security officer, who was assaulted by one of the suspects, is listed in fair condition, according to a media statement from WFBMC.

The emergency department is accepting patients and those with scheduled appointments are now able to access Medical Center buildings.

Police said one other person was inside the Gold Express at the time of the robbery, however that person was not injured.

No other information was provided.

Earlier this morning, parts of the hospital were put on lockdown after a suspicious package was found near the hospital.

The two incidents are not related.

Authorities determined the package, which was initially described as a “small suitcase,” was actually a lunch cooler.

Officials said surveillance video showed a man dropping the cooler on the ground between the MRI building and some bushes around 1:30 a.m. The man was then picked up by an unidentified vehicle, but officials were never able to determine who the man was or who the vehicle belonged to, police said. 

Medical Center Boulevard between Queen Street and South Hawthorne Road was closed for more than four hours after the package was first reported around 4:20 a.m.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Must-See Stories

More Must-See Stories


Follow FOX8 on Twitter