Field hockey player dies after snake bite

News
This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

DARWIN, Australia — A field hockey player dies after he was bitten by a venomous king brown snake in Australia’s tropical Northern Territory and then went for a run, the Associated Press is reporting.

Fairfax Newspapers reported Friday that 26-year-old Karl Berry was cleaning up at Marrara Hockey Centre in Darwin on Tuesday when he picked up a snake. He thought it was a nonvenomous python and threw it into the bushes.

Berry was bitten on the hand but did not realize the bite was poisonous and went on a 1.2-mile training run before collapsing.

St. John’s Ambulance operations manager Craig Garraway was quoted as saying Berry was conscious when paramedics arrived. But he took up to 15 minutes to mention the bite. Berry, captain of the Commerce-Pints team, died Wednesday.

Read more: Associated Press

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Must-See Stories

More Must-See Stories

MOST POPULAR

Follow FOX8 on Twitter