Man dies in Davidson Co. house fire; grandson tried to save him



This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

DAVIDSON COUNTY, N.C. — A man is dead after a house caught fire in Midway Wednesday morning.

Crews responded to the fire at a home on Saura Lane around 9:20 a.m.

Family members say the victim’s name is Harold Nifong. He lived alone inside the Saura Lane home.

Officials say the victim’s grandson attempted to save him before firefighters arrived, but the smoke was too heavy.

“He had already busted the door in. He had tried to go in the structure but the smoke over came him, so he had come out of the house. Then our guys went in,” said Midway Fire Chief Michael Craft.

Craft says firefighters discovered the fire in the living room. The victim was found in the same room.

It appears Nifong was working on a gas fireplace right before the fire broke out.

“Until the autopsy comes back, we won’t know if he was incapacitated by some means prior to the fire,” said Davidson County Emergency Services Director Larry James.

James says there is no foul play suspected.

Must-See Stories

More Must-See Stories


Follow FOX8 on Twitter