VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. (AP) — The Coast Guard has suspended its search for the driver of a box truck that plunged off the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel.
The crash happened around 8:20 a.m. Tuesday on the bridge’s northbound lanes.
Virginia Beach Fire Department Battalion Chief Richard Trent says emergency response crews were searching for the driver after finding the vehicle floating in the water.
Coast Guard Petty Officer First Class Tara Molle says witnesses saw a man leave the truck and drift westward in the water.
Molle says it isn’t clear whether the driver climbed or fell out of the vehicle.
Latest headlines from FOX8
- Fatal crash closes interstate 77 southbound in Surry County
- Proposed Texas redistricting maps ‘unfair’ to minorities, promote ‘racial discrimination,’ lawsuit alleges
- Southwest delays plan to put unvaccinated employees on unpaid leave in December
- NC woman wins $1m million from $10 scratch-off
- Murphy is a sweet Golden Retriever mix looking for a loving home