Officials identify victims injured in Graham house fire

News

Sarah Krueger/WGHP

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

GRAHAM, N.C. –Officials have identified the two victims in Monday’s Graham house fire.

Joseph and Kathryn Allen are both still in the intensive care unit, according to John Payne, the Alamance County fire marshal.

Payne said the fire was caused by an overloaded circuit due to the multiple space heaters in use.

According to witnesses, Joseph Allen saved his wife and their three children from their burning home.

Captain Mike Melvin said firefighters arrived at 400 Walker Ave. around 4:30 a.m.

They were told that Joseph Allen who lived inside had woken up to smoke and flames coming from the living room. He was able to break through the glass of his bedroom window, pull out his wife and child, and then run to the back of the house to do the same thing for his other two kids.

“Being a dad myself, we go to any extent to save our children,” Captain Melvin said. “What he did was very heroic. He not only saved himself, but he saved his wife and his children. He’s definitely a hero.”

According to Melvin, Joseph Allen suffered lacerations to his arm from breaking the windows, resulting in significant blood loss.

Melvin said he was airlifted to the hospital, as was his wife, who suffered smoke inhalation.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Must-See Stories

More Must-See Stories

MOST POPULAR

Follow FOX8 on Twitter