Person in critical condition after Burlington house fire 2 blocks away from fire station

Piedmont Triad News

BURLINGTON, N.C. (WGHP) — A woman is in critical condition after a house fire Tuesday afternoon.

Firefighters arrived at 612 W. Front St. a little after 4:30 p.m. because of a call about a fire. The home was about two blocks away from a fire station.

While it was reported that several people were possibly trapped inside the burning house, firefighters only found one female victim in the house.

The victim was taken to Alamance Regional Medical Center by ambulance and is in critical condition at this time.

EMS treated seven firefighters on scene for heat-related illnesses. One of the firefighters was taken to a hospital.

The fire department says all of the firefighters were in good condition as of Wednesday morning.

There is extensive fire damage to the home. Between structural damage and content loss, damages are estimated to be more than $177,000.

A neighbor was able to take a few photos of the damage.

According to the fire department, the fire was caused by an “improperly discarded smoking product.” This marks Burlington’s second house fire caused by used cigarettes in the past month.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

MOST POPULAR

get the app

My FOX8 News App

Follow FOX8 on Twitter