CLEMMONS, N.C. (WGHP) — A family lost their home after a huge fire broke out in Clemmons.

Fire crews came to the scene of the fire on Orchard Path Road after they were called around 2:30 a.m. Friday morning for a fire they believe started in the garage area of the home.

The fire spread quickly. The fire marshall says it was a “fully involved” fire, and the home is going to be a total loss.

Two people were inside when the fire started. They were able to make it out safely due to their working smoke alarms.

The fire marshal said at least 30 firefighters responded to help put the flames out.

FOX8 learned the fire started in the garage.

“It did take a significant amount of time and resources trying to get the fire under control,” Forsyth County Fire Marshal Gary Stye said. “The occupants were able to escape because they were alerted of the fire through a working smoke alarm. So it’s a great testament to everyone. You need to check your smoke alarm every month and change the batteries twice a year.”

We found the homeowner sitting behind yellow caution tape with her hands on her head and tears in her eyes as investigators went through her home.

She was devastated knowing it was a total loss.

She wasn’t ready to talk with us on camera but said the home is the place she’s spent the last 28 years.

“We were able to locate some things in the home to help the family through this. That’s always a comforting thing,” Styers said.

Some of the things that remain are the victim’s son’s ashes which she has held on to for nearly 15 years and a willow tree they planted in the front yard in his honor.

The Forsyth County fire marshall is happy they have some of their most cherished items with them.

He’s more proud this family is alive.

“The most important thing is that they were able to get out safely,” he said

The fire marshall says his team has responded to many fires where people have removed their smoke alarm batteries or not maintained them.

He says very tragic fires can happen because of that.

“That one little device is very important, and I know it’s easy to get busy and not look after it, but it is so important because that may be your family’s lifeline in escaping a home fire safely,” he said.