This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

HIGH POINT, N.C. (WGHP) — An investigation is underway after a 4-year-old boy died from what appeared to be a self-inflicted gunshot wound, according to a news release from High Point police.

Jasmine E. Fagan, 29, of High Point, the child’s mother, is charged with felony child abuse.

Officers were called to a home in the 800 block of Worth Street on Sunday at 9:51 p.m. on a report that a child had been shot.

When officers arrived, they found a 4-year-old boy lying on the living room floor suffering from what appeared to be a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head, according to the release.

“I came outside, I saw the police had a little boy in his arms, he put him in the car and rushed him out of here,” said Ester Carter, who lives nearby.

The child was taken to High Point Regional Hospital and later died from his injuries.

Cindy V. Gibson-Harris

“I feel sorry for the mother, I really do it breaks my heart to know she lost her baby that way,” Carter said.

Detectives interviewed people involved and learned that several adults, including the homeowner, Cindy V. Gibson-Harris, 30, were at the residence having dinner, playing cards, drinking alcohol, and smoking marijuana when the child was left unattended in the living room, where he found a firearm under a couch cushion and shot himself.

“You got children, put [the gun] up lock it up, that’s what they say lock them up. That would be better, lock them up, that would never happen,” Carter said.

Gibson-Harris, 30, of High Point, is charged with felony possession of cocaine and maintaining a dwelling for the use of controlled substances.

According to court documents, she is under investigation by CPS and initially lied to officers about how many guns were in the house. They later found three guns and multiple magazines.

Fagan was confined in the High Point jail under a $50,000 secured bond. Gibson-Harris was put in the High Point jail under a $25,000 secured bond.