HIGH POINT, N.C. (WGHP) — The house fire that killed two people in High Point has been ruled accidental, according to the High Point Fire Department.

At around 11 a.m. on Saturday, firefighters got a report of a house fire on the 600 block of Spruce Street.

More from FOX8

High Point News

Read more High Point news on MyFOX8.com

Fire officials arrived minutes later and found smoke showing from the front of the home and flames visible in the back of the house.

Firefighters began putting out the fire and searched the home for anyone inside.

During the first search, they found one person inside and pulled them out of the house to begin treatment.

More units went back inside for a second search and found a second victim who also received treatment.

Both victims were taken to the hospital with serious injuries.

On Monday, the HPFD fire chief confirmed that a 59-year-old man and a 60-year-old woman died.

He says they were found in the bedroom, and the fire started in the kitchen. They had smoke detectors in the home, but they weren’t working at the time of the fire.

More from FOX8

North Carolina News

See the latest North Carolina news

On Wednesday, firefighters confirmed to FOX8 that the fire started on the stovetop. A pot of grease was found next to a burner in the “on” position.

Firefighters also warned people to always stay with anything they are cooking on the stove and to make sure their homes have working smoke alarms.

Smoke alarms have a shelf life of 10 years. You can contact the HPFD to receive assistance with installing a smoke alarm in your home.