No charges in shooting death of teen in squad car


Jesus Huerta

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

DURHAM, N.C. (WTVD) — Durham County District Attorney A. Leon Stanback said Tuesday that he has reviewed a report from the SBI on the shooting death of 17-year-old Jesus Huerta and will not be filing any charges in the case.

Huerta was arrested by Durham police Nov. 19. His family had called to report he had run away. When officers found him, they discovered an outstanding arrest warrant for a second-degree trespassing charge and decided to take him into custody.

Huerta was placed in the back of a squad car and taken to police headquarters. But as the car pulled into the parking lot around 2:30 a.m., the officer driving reported hearing a loud bang and he jumped out of the moving car, which then rolled into parked vehicles.

Huerta was found dead of a gunshot wound in the back of the cruiser. Police have said it was an apparent suicide, but there were immediate questions about how the teen got the gun and how he could shoot himself if his hands were cuffed behind him. Department policy requires prisoners to be searched before they’re transported.

The Durham Police Department released a preliminary internal affairs report last week in which it said it has concluded Huerta had a semi-automatic .45 caliber pistol hidden on his person.

The gun was not found by Officer Samuel Duncan who said he searched the teen after he was handcuffed and before he was placed in the back of the patrol car.

Police said Officer Duncan also searched the car at the beginning of his shift and Huerta was the first prisoner he put there that day.

Investigators also said gunshot residue tests showed Huerta fired a gun and Officer Duncan did not. Witnesses said Huerta had moved his hands from behind his back to a position behind his knees.

Huerta’s family says the Durham Police Department’s internal affairs report “glossed over” statements from Huerta’s friend who was arrested at the same time.

That friend said neither he nor Huerta had a weapon. It also claims officers failed to adequately protect the troubled teen from himself.

Doubt and suspicion over the case have prompted two violent protests. One resulted in damaged police property. The other ended with officers in riot gear spraying tear gas.

A peaceful vigil for Huerta is set for Jan. 19 at Immaculate Conception Church starting at 6:45 p.m. The public is welcome to attend.

Source: WTVD

Must-See Stories

More Must-See Stories


Follow FOX8 on Twitter