NC woman: Cat saved my life

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

DURHAM, N.C. — A woman said her cat saved her life after her home caught fire Thursday morning in Durham.

The Herald-Sun reported that 63-year-old Virginia Wright said her cat came and woke her up by jumping on her face.

“The reason I didn’t die this morning is because the Lord knows I’ve been putting out some good stuff, so He still needed me here,” she said, according to The Herald-Sun.

Her home at 2325 Farthing St. off Club Boulevard near Roxboro Street received extensive smoke damage. No injuries were reported to her or her 10 cats.

Wright’s cats are currently in her back porch, and she plans to continue caring for them until she can move back in.

Lt. Duarte Hester of Durham County Animal Control said Wright was issued a notice Thursday to vaccinate nine of her cats for rabies when she couldn’t show proof of vaccination.

The Associated Press contributed to this report. To read more, visit The Herald-Sun.

Must-See Stories

More Must-See Stories


Follow FOX8 on Twitter