NC teenager still missing after 15 years; police have no answers

News
This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

ASHEVILLE, N.C. – Friday marked 15 years since the disappearance of North Carolina teenager Zebb Quinn and it still remains a mystery what happened to him.

WLOS reported that Quinn left the Walmart where he worked in Asheville on the night of Jan. 2, 2000 and was last seen at a Citgo convenience store around 9:30 p.m.

He had been planning to look at a car with a friend, but said he had to leave after getting a page, according to reports.

His light blue Mazda showed up two weeks later at barbeque restaurant in the area. The car had lips painted on the rear window in lipstick and a Labrador-mix puppy was inside.

Police said there were some bottles and a jacket in the car that did not belong to him and the steering wheel had been lowered.

Asheville police considered the case a homicide early in the investigation, according to the Asheville Citizen-Times.

“We’re still working on that as a cold case,” Asheville police told the paper. “We still believe there are people in the area who know critical information but haven’t come forward.”

Zebb’s disappearance left a hole in his mother’s life. For 15 years, Denise Vlahakis hasn’t known whether Zebb is dead or alive.

If he’s dead, she hasn’t had a chance to bury him. Vlahakis says living with the fact her son is missing is a feeling that doesn’t get easier with time.

“Somebody is watching their children grow and we are living the nightmare of not knowing where he is, or what happened, or anything,” Vlahakis told WLOS.

Vlahakis is offering a reward to $25,000 for information that leads to finding him alive, or information that leads to a conviction.

Zebb had dreams of being a sports broadcaster.

Read more: The Asheville Citizen-Times

Must-See Stories

More Must-See Stories

MOST POPULAR

Follow FOX8 on Twitter