MYRTLE BEACH, S.C. (WBTW) — The Myrtle Beach Skywheel will light up Friday night in honor of a North Myrtle Beach officer who was killed in a crash early New Year’s Day.
North Myrtle Beach Public Safety Sgt. Gordon William Best was responding to a call at the Barefoot Resort when he lost control of his vehicle on the wet roads, according to Patrick Dowling, the public information officer for the City of North Myrtle Beach.
The Skywheel will be lit up blue after 7 p.m.
Best was born on Nov. 12, 1990, according to Dowling. He joined the department in 2013, and was promoted to sergeant on Feb. 17, 2019.
Latest headlines from FOX8
- Second woman accuses Governor Cuomo of sexual harassment
- Federal investigators pinpoint suspect in officer’s death during Capitol riot
- Police arrest NC man in connection with shooting that left 2 women with injuries in Virginia Beach
- Simms, Dawes each score 19 as Clemson defeats Miami 66-58, wins 5th straight
- No. 16 Virginia Tech pounds Wake Forest 84-46