Mother wheelchair-bound after being infected by bacteria on makeup brush

News
This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

BRISBANE, Australia — A mother in Australia is wheelchair-bound after using a friend’s makeup brush to cover a blemish.

Jo Gilchrist, 27,  told the Daily Mail Australia it all started with an ache in her back. Doctors determined the pain was caused by MRSA or meticillin-resistant staphylococcus aureus, a type of bacteria that is resistant to some antibiotics.

“I was in incredible pain and nothing would work,” she told the Daily Mail Australia. “I honestly thought I was going to die – the pain was worse than childbirth.”

Gilchrist was airlifted to Brisbane’s Princess Alexandra Hospital for emergency surgery after the staph bacteria from her friend’s brush attacked her spine.

Now the young mother will need a wheelchair for the rest of her life and will never have control of her bladder or bowel.

Doctors are still working to get rid of the staph infection, but as for now Gilchrist trying to learn how to walk again.

“I feel like I have a second chance at life,” Gilchrist told the Daily Mail Australia. “Everything happens for a reason, I’ve definitely got my fight back for life.”

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

MOST POPULAR

get the app

My FOX8 News App

Follow FOX8 on Twitter