COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) — A South Carolina mother who skipped the trial where she was convicted of homicide by child abuse for throwing two of her newborns in trash bags will spend 40 years in prison.
Alyssa Dayvault’s sentence was handed down Thursday. She turned herself in the day after her trial ended.
The 32-year-old mother hid her pregnancies in 2017 and 2018 from everyone, including her boyfriend and her mother.
She gave birth at her North Myrtle Beach home alone then moments later, put the newborns into trash bags and threw them away.
Dayvault cried and apologized to her family, saying she never meant to harm anyone and that she made a horrible mistake.
Latest headlines from FOX8
- VIDEO: Dog requires urgent surgery after grooming appointment
- EXCLUSIVE: Mother describes tragic moments when 7-year-old was shot, killed by driver in NC
- Did you see that bright light in the sky? SpaceX launched a new rocket. Check out these photos, and send us yours!
- Study finds no link between epidural use at birth and autism
- Drop in vaccine demand has some places turning down doses