SANFORD, N.C. (AP) — Police in North Carolina say a person was shot by a sheriff’s deputy after fleeing from a traffic stop on foot.
Harnett County Sheriff Wayne Coats said the shooting happened early Sunday, and the State Bureau of Investigation is investigating the officer-involved shooting.
Coats said the person was shot once by the deputy.
Coats said it was early in the investigation and asked the public not to refrain from “jumping to conclusions.”
The deputy has been placed on administrative leave pending the outcome of the investigation.
No other substantive details about the shooting were provided by police.
Latest headlines from FOX8
- Baseball legend Hank Aaron dies at age of 86
- Police identify victims after man and teen killed, 2-year-old injured in shooting at Asheboro apartment complex
- Helmet cam video shows Winston-Salem firefighters face fire on Sides Village Drive; 12 people displaced
- CDC recommends against getting other vaccines close to when you get the COVID-19 vaccine
- All eyes on QBs as Packers host Bucs for NFC championship