Kernersville plans to improve South Main Street

News
This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

KERNERSVILLE, N.C. — Construction could begin as early as next spring on Forsyth County’s second busiest street.

South Main Street in Kernersville carries 34,000 cars and trucks a day. That much traffic is causing slowdowns, as well as more than 100 accidents over a three-year period.

Kernersville residents like Betty Stafford go out of their way to avoid South Main during rush hour.

“I make my trips to the grocery store and bank, and I go in the mornings,” Stafford said.

But now, NCDOT and the Town of Kernersville have endorsed a plan to improve the road at a cost of $1.8 million.

Town officials will apply for federal grants to cover 80 percent of the cost. The other 20 percent would be paid by the town.

Engineers said building a median down South Main Street would prevent dangerous, left-hand turns. A stop light and the intersection of Old Winston Road and South Main Street would move. Also, a roundabout would be built at the intersection of Old Winston Road and South Cherry Street.

Restaurant owner Teni Xhaferi welcomes any changes coming to South Main Street.

“I think it will help Kernersville traffic. After 4:00, it’s packed,” Xhaferi said.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Must-See Stories

More Must-See Stories

MOST POPULAR

Follow FOX8 on Twitter