KERNERSVILLE, N.C. — The Kernersville license plate agency located at 1325 E. Highway 66 South will close at the end of the day on Thursday.
The agency will not reopen due to the recent death of the agency contractor, who operated the agency since 1975.
The policy of the Division of Motor Vehicles is to seek new applicants to operate a license plate agency whenever a contract expires or ends. The Division is accepting applications for a new agency in the Kernersville area. Routinely, it takes about four months to establish a new agency.
Plate agency applications are located on the NCDMV website. Interested applicants are invited to download an application form for a motor vehicle LPA or call (919) 861-3332 with questions. The application must be returned to NCDMV no later than Sept. 16.
Until a new agency can be established, nearby vehicle registration services are available at the following locations:
- Winston-Salem, 1141 Silas Creek Parkway, (336) 725-2795
- Greensboro, 5551 W. Market St., (336) 856-1510
- High Point, 1677 Westchester Dr., Ste. 155, (336) 889-8247
- Thomasville, 1033 Randolph St., Ste. 13, (336) 476-5070
- Rural Hall, 1014 Bethania Rural Hall Road, (336) 969-2814