Investigators: Power strip caused deadly Winston-Salem house fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. – Investigators say a malfunction in a power strip caused a Wednesday house fire that killed a mother and her son in Winston-Salem.

Family members identified the victims as Betty Roberts, 83, and her son, Bruce Roberts Jr., 57.

Investigators say the victims, who were both disabled, died of smoke inhalation.

The fire started just before 1 p.m. Wednesday at Jonestown Mobile Home Park, where Betty Roberts had lived for more than 30 years.

Investigators say the woman was found in a hall outside a bedroom.  Her son was found in the kitchen.

Data pix.

Neighbors say they tried to help, but the fire spread quickly and became too intense.  Firefighters said the home was fully-involved in flames when they arrived.

One neighbor who knew the victims for more than 20 years described them as "good people."

Must-See Stories

More Must-See Stories


Follow FOX8 on Twitter