CARROLL COUNTY, Va. — Officials said a house fire that resulted in the deaths of three children started by a child playing with a lighter and a candle.
The Carroll County Sheriff’s Office said the fire was reported at about 8:30 a.m. March 5 at a home on Glendale Road near Sparkle Lane just outside Galax.
Dominic Delp, 7, and Ryleigh Delp, 4, died in the fire. Nine-month-old Randly Delp died the following Friday at Brenner’s Hospital in Winston-Salem.
The children were killed after being trapped in the house during the fire, according to deputies.
Their mother was able to get their sister, 5-year-old Gabrielle Delp, out of the fire before being driven back by smoke and flames. The children’s father was out of town for work.
The Galax fire chief suffered smoke inhalation trying to save the children. The fire has been ruled accidental.