Hotel room deaths raise carbon monoxide concerns

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

GREENSBORO, N.C. -- While many families are packing for their summer vacations, they will probably forget one thing--a travel carbon monoxide detector.

Linda Dozier with Lowe's Home Improvement in Greensboro says the devices' popularity has increased significantly, after an 11-year-old boy was found dead inside a Boone hotel Saturday of carbon monoxide poisoning.

"People really don't think about that. Most people know that there is supposed to be a smoke alarm within the bedrooms, but they don't think about the different gases," Dozier said.

North Carolina law requires carbon monoxide detectors in apartments and townhouses,  however they're not required in vacation homes and hotels.

Jim Johnston, with Greensboro Hazmat, says they respond to at least 20 carbon monoxide poisoning calls a month.

Johnston thinks carbon monoxide detectors should be every hotel room.

"A lot of times families get confused, everyone get sick, everyone get a headache and they assume its food poisoning, but it could be carbon monoxide poisoning," Johnston said.

Travel carbon monoxide detectors cost between $25.00--$45.00, and can be found at most hardware stores.


Must-See Stories

More Must-See Stories


Follow FOX8 on Twitter