High Point University mourns loss of student fatally hit by truck

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

HIGH POINT, N.C. — High Point University students are mourning the loss of a beloved classmate who died Friday after being hit by a truck.

Mario Fernando Mayorga was last seen Thursday in Greensboro, according to the university. He was reported missing on Saturday and it was later announced that he had died.

Mayorga was a pedestrian who died after being hit by a truck on Business 85 near the Groometown Road exit, according to highway patrol.

Before that, he is believed to have gotten into a cab after being in downtown Greensboro on Thursday night.

Investigators said his friends reported putting him in a cab to head home. What happened after he got into the cab and before he was hit by the truck is not clear.

The man driving the truck is not facing any charges. The driver was not believed to have been impaired or speeding.

Mayorga’s family contacted the university after they couldn’t reach him. A missing person’s report was filed Saturday morning with High Point police.

Mayorga was a sophomore student at the school and would have been taking finals next week. He was from New York and had plans to be a lawyer.

Faculty members and students gathered on campus to hold a vigil in his honor on Saturday evening. Classmates reached out by putting flowers on his car and painting a campus rock in his memory.

“I just don’t want anyone to ever forget him and his smile,” said High Point University sophomore Hannah Leslie. “He lit up campus … I think everyone at High Point University feels that way.”

The following is a statement that High Point University released to the media on Saturday about the incident:

We are deeply saddened to report that HPU student Mario Mayorga died in Greensboro on Friday, April 24. The entire HPU Community grieves with and extends their sympathies to the Mayorga family. President Qubein has reached out to Mario’s parents to offer HPU’s prayers, assistance, and support during this difficult time.

Multiple law enforcement agencies are investigating. The investigation is ongoing.

Must-See Stories

More Must-See Stories


Follow FOX8 on Twitter