Former Lexington housing workers sue

News
This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

LEXINGTON, N.C. — Five former maintenance workers at the Lexington Housing Authority have sued, saying they were wrongly fired last year.

The Lexington Dispatch reported the workers are seeking a total of more than $25 million from the agency and its executive director.

Clifton Craven, Robert Moore, Juan Small, Thomas Ward and Jeremy Walser sued in Forsyth County Superior Court on Wednesday.

They accuse the authority and executive director Terrance Gerald of negligence, libel and slander.

Gerald denies the charges. He says the men were fired because the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development said it was going to cut the budget for housing authorities around the country by $1 billion.

Gerald said using an outside contractor for maintenance would save his agency about $250,000 annually.

Credit: The Associated Press.

Must-See Stories

More Must-See Stories

MOST POPULAR

Follow FOX8 on Twitter