This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

CHARLOTTE, N.C. — Panthers head coach Ron Rivera spoke publicly Monday afternoon after his house caught fire Monday morning.

The Charlotte Fire Department said the fire caused approximately $500,000 in damage to Rivera’s home. The fire department said the cause of the accidental fire was the fireplace.

Firefighters battled flames at the home of Carolina Panthers’ head coach Ron Rivera in south Charlotte early Monday morning.

Crews responded to the house on Heydon Hall Circle just after 4 a.m. and found heavy smoke and flames coming from the structure. Neighbors told WSOC that the home belonged to Panthers’ coach Ron Rivera.

Read more: WSOC