Fire damages home on South Road in Davidson County

News
Data pix.

DAVIDSON COUNTY, N.C. -- A house fire forced a family from their home in Davidson County on Sunday night.

The fire was reported at a mobile home on South Road, northeast of Thomasville.

A grandmother lived in the home with her daughter and grandson. They were able to make it out of the home safely, along with five pets.

“They wouldn’t let me go near the house, it was very traumatizing, I’m just thankful that I see my brother come out, he was solid black from the soot,” said Chasity Jones, the woman's granddaughter said.

She explained that her brother was sleeping inside when the fire started. Crews were also able to rescue five pets from the flames.

“When I saw them bring Rebel out, my cat, I knew there was no hope for the rest of them because he was foaming out the mouth with black stuff and they put him on the ground and started giving him oxygen and it was just unreal,” she said.

The Davidson County Fire Marshal's office ruled the cause of the fire to be electrical from a coffee maker.

Jones credits the Hasty Fire Department's quick attack for saving the exterior of the home.

“Everything in this house can be replaced but my family and my animals are safe so God knew that’s what I needed," Jones said. “I feel like my family, each one of us got something out of this. Everything happens for a reason, I’m not sure what that reason is but it did a lot to us.”

The home is not a total loss but will have to be completely gutted.

The family will be able to stay in another mobile home while repairs are underway. Jones said dozens of people have reached out to them, offering help ahead of the holidays.

Must-See Stories

More Must-See Stories