Father of 2 nearly dies from sepsis infection caused by biting his fingernails

News

Man bites fingernails (Getty Images)

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

SOUTHPORT, U.K. — A father of two from England nearly died after he became infected with sepsis from biting his nails, The Sun reports.

Luke Hanoman began to experience flu-like symptoms after biting the skin on the side of one of his nails.

The 28-year-old tried to sleep the symptoms off but found himself feeling worse.

“I thought I could just sleep it off. I went to bed on Friday night and work up at 2 p.m. the next day,” he said.

Hanoman’s mother eventually called a medical helpline and told the operator about his symptoms, which prompted her to rush him to a nearby hospital.

In all, he spent four days in the hospital being treated with antibiotics and was told he was “lucky to be alive.”

“I was on a 24-hour observation with two drips in my arms constantly,” he said. “They told me I was lucky to make it so long. I was close to septic shock.”

There are around 123,000 cases of sepsis in England each year and approximately 37,000 people died from it.

Must-See Stories

More Must-See Stories

MOST POPULAR

Follow FOX8 on Twitter