This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
RANDOLPH COUNTY, N.C. — A family watched a chaotic scene unfold right outside of their Randolph County home. The family of Cole Jessup shared a video with FOX8 of the moments after he was shot and killed by a Randolph County deputy early Tuesday morning. The State Bureau of Investigations is still working to put all of the pieces together. In the meantime, Jessup’s family tells FOX8 they’re grieving and they don’t understand why this situation had to end this way. The Jessup family woke up just before 1 a.m. Tuesday to flashing lights and sounds no one wants to hear. “I heard some gunshots. His girlfriend was screaming and hollering and she came running out,” said Reggie Jessup, Cole’s father.   Jessup and the rest of the family and friends are now trying to make sense of it all. “All I know is that he’s dead,” Reggie Jessup said. Randolph County Deputies say 20-year-old Cole Jessup was driving a stolen tractor, with the lights off, in the middle of the road. A deputy tried to pull him over before he allegedly rammed the patrol car three times. Officers say, fearing for his safety, the deputy took out his gun and shot Cole Jessup, who had been out on bond for just three days for charges he was facing in Chatham County. He was accused of fleeing to elude arrest, possession of a stolen motor vehicle and reckless driving to endanger. In the summer of 2018, Cole Jessup was charged in Randolph County for carrying a concealed weapon and resisting officers. At 17-years-old, in 2016, he was accused of shooting a man and was charged with Aggravated assault with a deadly weapon. Despite his past, his family says he didn’t deserve this. “He was a good boy and he worked a lot and he liked to drive fast,” Reggie Jessup said. “He wasn’t but 20 years old.” The family tells FOX8 they are grieving and they plan to get justice for Cole. The deputy involved has been placed on administrative leave as is protocol. FOX8 is told the tractor weighed about seven thousand pounds, but the officer was not injured.