KINGS MOUNTAIN, N.C. (FOX 46 CHARLOTTE) – Officer Tyler Herndon, the Mount Holly Police officer shot and killed while on duty last Friday, was laid to rest in Kings Mountain Tuesday afternoon.
Herndon was killed on Dec. 11 when Mount Holly officers and a Gaston County police officer were confronting an armed, breaking and entering suspect around 3:30 a.m. when several shots were fired.
“We heard a bunch of shots and then before we even thought to get up and take a look there were already cops everywhere,” said a neighbor.
Officer Herndon, 25, was shot during the encounter and was taken to the hospital. Officer Herndon did not survive his injuries.
Watch Tuesday’s funeral service in its entirety below:
On Sunday, community members gathered to honor the young officer on what would have been his 26th birthday. Flowers, balloons and notes were placed around his patrol car, which sits at the entrance of the Mount Holly Police Department.
Many of the homes and restaurants in Mount Holly are decked in blue lights to show support for Officer Herndon. Those restaurants are also taking donations for the family.
Several Roads in Kings Mountain were closed Tuesday for the large funeral procession in his honor.
South Sims Street, Mountain Street, King Street, Phifer Road, and Bethlehem Road were closed from 2 p.m. to 6 p.m. for the service.
LATEST HEADLINES FROM FOX 46 CHARLOTTE
- Second Ramadan of pandemic begins amid restrictions
- 1 person shot in Greensboro, taken to hospital; police investigating on West Wendover Avenue
- Newsfeed Now: Chauvin trial enters third week; Matsuyama becomes 1st Japanese Masters winner
- Texas couple reunites for first time since pandemic for 50th wedding anniversary
- ⚾ WANTED: MLB Food Tester – Get paid $500 to eat hot dogs and watch baseball🌭