Elderly woman dies after her clothes catch fire

News

200 block of Astran Drive (Google Maps)

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

DENTON, N.C. — An elderly woman died Friday after her clothing caught fire she while burning trash in her yard, authorities said.

The incident happened about 1:30 p.m. in the woman’s yard at 286 Astran Drive Lot 14, Sheriff David Grice of Davidson County said.

A neighbor called 911, and firefighters from the Denton Fire Department arrived at the scene a few minutes later, Grice said.

The firefighters found the woman inside the home with burns on her body, Grice said. The kitchen faucet was running, leading investigators to believe that she was putting water on her clothes in an effort to put out the fire, Grice said.

The victim was the only person at the mobile when the fire occurred, Grice said.

Grice declined to identify the victim, saying that her relatives hadn’t been notified of her death.

A Davidson County medical examiner decided that an autopsy wasn’t necessary, Grice said. It appears the woman’s death was related to the fire.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

MOST POPULAR

get the app

My FOX8 News App

Follow FOX8 on Twitter