WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. — A domestic violence complaint has been voluntarily dismissed against Darryl Hunt, the man who was exonerated 10 years ago in the 1984 murder of Deborah Sykes, according to the Winston-Salem Journal.
April Hunt had filed in September a request for a 50-B domestic-restraining order against Hunt. The couple had been married since 2000 but separated in May of this year.
April Hunt alleged that Hunt had forced his way into the house on Sept. 12, scuffled with her and pushed her twice before leaving. Darryl Hunt, in a response, denied the allegations and said April Hunt attacked him from behind after he had come to the house looking for his lawn mower. He was staying at a friend’s house and his friend’s lawn mower had broken down, Hunt said in court papers.
A restraining order was never granted. April Hunt and Darryl Hunt agreed to not contact each other as the case was pending.
April Hunt and Darryl Hunt filed a joint notice of voluntary dismissal with prejudice on Monday. That means she cannot re-file the restraining order.
In a consent order filed in a separate case involving Darryl Hunt’s complaint for equitable distribution, the couple agreed to not “assault, threaten, abuse, follow, harass (by telephone, texting, emailing, social media, visiting the home or workplace of the other or by any other means) or interfere with each other.”
The consent order also requires the two to stay away from each other’s homes and from each other. Under the consent order, April Hunt and Darryl Hunt agree to not have contact with each other.
The order was signed by Forsyth District Judge Lisa Menefee.
David Hough, attorney for Darryl Hunt, said Friday that he did not have any comment. Stuart Teeter, attorney for April Hunt, did not immediately return a message seeking comment.
Darryl Hunt, 49, was exonerated in 2004 after DNA evidence led police to Williard Brown, who confessed to killing Sykes, a copy editor at the city’s now-closed afternoon newspaper, The Sentinel.