DESOTO COUNTY, Miss. — A vacation ended in tragedy as a Desoto County Sheriff’s deputy drowned during a family outing in Florida. Authorities said he died a hero.
According to reports, William Nichols, 33, drowned while saving his son on Wednesday in Destin, Florida. Nichols helped his son make it back to shore but wasn’t able to make it himself because of the strong current.
Rescuers pulled him from the water and performed CPR as he was rushed to the hospital. He later died.
Nichols was the director of the Search and Rescue Division at the Desoto County Sheriff’s Department.
- Community clinic held in Forsyth County to administer single shot vaccine
- ‘She’s such a beautiful person inside and out’: Woman celebrates 113th birthday
- No. 21 Virginia tops Louisville 68-58 to claim ACC title
- Dawes scores 21 as Clemson defeats Pittsburgh 77-62 in finale
- See inside this incredible 1940’s-era Art Deco home that just hit the market