Deputy dies from inhaling chemical during rescue

News
This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

AUGUSTA, Ga. — A Georgia deputy sheriff has died after inhaling a chemical, thought to be liquid nitrogen, during a rescue at a sperm bank.

Sgt. Greg Meagher, 57, was trying to rescue an employee Sunday at the sperm bank and was overcome by the chemical. He and the employee were taken to Augusta University Hospital, where Meagher was pronounced dead.

CNN Affiliate WRDW reported three other deputies were treated when they had trouble breathing at Xytex Corp. in Augusta.

The company’s website says it is a “global provider of human semen to healthcare professionals and their patients.” The company has not responded to CNN’s request for comment.

Bowen said an autopsy would be conducted tomorrow and the investigation is ongoing.

Trademark and Copyright 2020 Cable News Network, Inc., a Time Warner Company. All rights reserved.

Must-See Stories

More Must-See Stories

MOST POPULAR

Follow FOX8 on Twitter