NICE, France — Another person has died from injuries in the ISIS-inspired attack on Bastille Day in Nice, France, raising the death toll to 85.
Pierre Hattermann is the latest victim in the July 14 attack, Christian Estrosi, president of the region that oversees Nice, announced Friday.
“All my thoughts for the daughter, the family, and relatives of Pierre Hattermann who has just passed away,” Estrosi, president of the Provence-Alpes-Cotes d’Azur region, said on Twitter.
Mohamed Lahouaiej Bouhlel, 31, plowed a 20-ton truck into crowds on the Promenade des Anglais seafront in Nice during a fireworks celebration on Bastille Day, France’s key national holiday. Ten children were among the victims. More than 200 people were injured.
The attack ended when police shot into the truck, killing Bouhlel, authorities said.
ISIS’ media group, Amaq Agency, claimed a “soldier” of the terror organization carried out the attack. But there was no sign Bouhlel had direct contact with the terror network, Paris prosecutor Francois Molins said last month.
There is evidence that Bouhlel plotted the attack in the Mediterranean city for a year with accomplices, according to authorities.
A French citizen of Tunisian descent, Bouhlel was a delivery driver and known as a petty criminal.
He had had a series of brushes with the law since 2010 for violence, sometimes with a gun, and thefts.
He was arrested in January for violence with a weapon, and in March a judge in Nice gave him a six-month jail sentence, which was suspended, Molins said.
French authorities never opened a security file on Bouhlel because he had no known ties to any terrorist or jihadist group, the prosecutor said.